14 thoughts on “Top Five Things We Wish All Beneficiaries Knew About Medicare – #1

  1. If I turn 65 in March 2019 and enroll in May 2019, will I still be able to keep my current insurance until Medicare kicks in?

    • Hi Irene, it depends on the type of coverage. If it’s employer coverage, yes, but if it’s ACA individual plan then you need to transition to Medicare at 65.

  2. I did not know about the delay – thanks! You helped my wife find great supplemental coverage, and I’ll be back when it’s my turn.

  3. My birthday is new years Eve, 12/31, and if I keep working have work benefit coverage to that date. Should I enroll early anyway? Sept or Oct?

    • Hi Ann, you can choose. If you enroll during the first three months of your Initial Enrollment Period (Sept – Nov), your benefits will begin on December 1st. You would have both A and B and group coverage for that one month. Your other option is to enroll in just Part A in September, and then apply for Part B on December 1st so it will start later than your Part A. However, when you separate your enrollment dates, it can be hard to keep your start dates straight, so for simplicity’s sake, if it were me, I would apply for both in September and have both start on Dec 1 so there is no confusion. đŸ™‚

  4. This kind of info is just another reason that I went with Boomers when it was time to enroll. I am sharing this with a few friends that are about to reach 65.

  5. In Ohio we are seeing an increasing number of doctor offices adding a “facility fee”, which employer-based insurance usually doesn’t cover. How does the supplement plans handle this kind of fee?

    • Hi Buckeyezippy,
      Medicare is always the party that decides whether a bill is covered or not. If Medicare pays its 80% share on a claim, your supplement must pay the other 20%. However, if Medicare denies a claim, the supplement policy cannot pay on it either. Regarding facility fees, Medicare will pay a facility fee at a hospital-owned physician practice or outpatient clinic, and if you have a supplement, it will pay its share as well. Independent doctors, however, are not permitted to bill Medicare beneficiaries a facility fee. In general, doctors who participate in Medicare are not allowed to balance bill or charge your more than the Medicare-allowed amount. Non-participating doctors in most states can bill an excess charge of up to 15% higher than the Medicare-allowed amount, but in Ohio this practice is prohibited by state law, so that’s good news for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *