Does Medicare Cover Cancer Treatment? – Georgia Medicare

For FREE help finding a Medicare plan,
Click here or call 1-800-729-9590.

Does Medicare cover my cancer screening and treatment? How does Medicare work? How to pay for chemotherapy? Cancer video playlist.

How much will I have to pay for my cancer treatment? Does Medicare cover the rest? How can I get help paying my medical bills? Bob Vineyard. Georgia Medicare Minute video.

Senior health care for cancer can be expensive. You should have the BEST Medicare supplement insurance in place BEFORE your cancer is diagnosed.

Medigap plan F is good but does not deliver the same value as Medicare supplement plan G. Anthem Blue Cross has some of the BEST plan G rates in Georgia in 2018. Compare plans and enroll direct with Bob Vineyard as your independent Medicare insurance broker.

From a purely financial perspective, most people with original Medicare and a supplement (Medigap) plan will not have to worry about how they will pay for the cost of cancer treatment. Most Medigap plans cover 100% of your hospital inpatient (Medicare Part A) expenses and the bulk of your outpatient care.

That’s not the case with Medicare Advantage.

Your out of pocket costs for cancer treatment with an Advantage plan can run several hundred or even thousands of dollars each year. If your treatment includes chemotherapy, you are generally responsible for 20% of the cost. Your plan picks up the balance.

Medicare Part B covers doctor visits and outpatient hospital services. Part B also covers the drugs that are infused (given in a vein through an IV) or injected (given as a shot) in a doctor’s office or treatment center. Many chemotherapy (chemo) drugs and the anti-nausea drugs used along with chemo are given by IV infusion in a doctor’s office or clinic. This means they are still covered under Part B.

Radiation therapy is also covered by Medicare.

Some cancer drugs are taken by mouth as part of chemo. For the most part, these drugs are covered under Part B if they are used instead of the same drug that could be given through an IV in your doctor’s office. In other words, if your doctor has a choice between giving you drug by mouth or the same drug as an IV, the drug taken by mouth is covered under Part B.

You can easily end up in the Medicare Part D donut hole if you are not careful. Georgia Medicare Plans can help you find a PDP that is best for you.

The American Cancer Society tells us that more than half the 1.4 million new cancer diagnoses occur in people age 65 and older. Roughly 20% of retiree deaths are a result of cancer. Medicare pays for almost half of the $74 billion spent on cancer treatment. The elderly account for 70% of cancer deaths each year.

Original Medicare covers about 80% of your cost of care. Most Medigap plans will pick up the remainder. You can pick your own doctor(s), hospital and treatment center and a referral is never required.

Not all cancers require or even respond to chemotherapy, but there are some things you should know about the cost of chemo.

Medicare does not pay for most prescription drugs but it does cover chemotherapy. Roughly 80% of cancer patients receive chemotherapy in their doctors' office or other outpatient settings.

Original Medicare pays for 80% of the cost of chemotherapy. Medigap plans F, G and N pick up the remaining 20%.

Call me. I want to help. (404) 252-5859

Visit my secure website at Georgia Medicare Plans –

For an online resource center or to apply for Medicare visit

To learn about the history of Medigap visit:

Bob Vineyard – Georgia Medicare Plans. You have questions. We have answers.
#GeorgiaMedicarePlans #GAMedigapQuotes #Turning65

Does Medicare cover cancer treatment, including chemo and radiation therapy?

Does Medicare Cover Cancer Treatment? – Georgia Medicare

 

Share This:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *